Thick, creamy and filled with beautiful flavors, this Cherry Banana Smoothie is perfect energy-packed morning drink! Made with fresh fruits and SUPERFOODS, without any added sugars, it’s healthy, antioxidant-rich delight that is just so delicious.
- Cherry Banana Smoothie ingredients
- How to make Cherry Banana Smoothie
- How many calories are in a Cherry Banana Smoothie
- Cherry Banana Smoothie benefits
- Cherry Banana Smoothie
- More smoothie recipes
The one thing I love about Summer is a variety of beautiful fresh fruits that are there for us to enjoy. Among them beautiful berries. Sweet, plum and juicy, filled with healthiness and deliciousness. I absolutely love all the berries, but maybe my favorite ones are cherries. And it’s only been a while since I realized how healthy they actually are. Which made me love them even more.
Now when cherries are in season I have a fridge full of them. I make all sorts of delicious treats for me and my family. My boys love Dark Chocolate Cherry Brownies, and I just got polenta and will make this weekend my favorite Sour Cherry Chia Jam Cornbread. I can’t wait! For me personally cherries are best eaten fresh. Or in delicious smoothies. Like Cherry Chocolate Smoothie or this goodness I share with you today.
This Cherry Banana Smoothie is sweet, creamy and absolutely delicious. Loaded with amazing summery flavors and only healthy stuff – fresh fruits, and superfoods with super-powers. It’s a omega-3s + antioxidant rich drink that has NO ADDED SUGARS whatsoever. It’s a perfect well balanced breakfast that can be served as an afternoon snack too. And the best part is – it’s super easy to whip up and kids just love it! Here’s what you’ll need and tips on how to make this cherry perfection at home.
Cherry Banana Smoothie ingredients
To make this delightful cherry smoothie you’ll need only a few simple ingredients:
- CHERRIES: Cherries are now in season and just super delicious – dark red, plummy and bursting with sweetness and flavor. But they are not only delicious but also packed with essential vitamins, minerals, and compounds with powerful health effects. Cherries are a great source of vitamin C and potassium as well as fiber, which helps keep our digestion healthy by fueling beneficial gut bacteria and promoting bowel regularity. (1) Plus, they provide us with B vitamins, manganese, copper, magnesium, and vitamin K. But what makes cherries super-powerful is high antioxidant content which reduce inflammation linked to development of chronic diseases and premature aging. (2) Cherries also keep our heart healthy. (3) I like to use frozen cherries to make this cherry smoothie simply because of the creamier texture and cooling effect. But both fresh or frozen will work fine here. Just make sure you use pitted cherries.
- MILK: I like to use almond milk here. Almond milk is creamy, nutty and naturally sweet. It pairs wonderfully with cherries fruity flavor. You can swap almond milk for organic soy milk or oat milk.
- BANANA: Bananas are great addition to any smoothie. They are naturally sweet, give creamy texture, and they are packed with nutrients. Bananas are high in fiber and many essential micronutrients, including potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C and magnesium. (4) They are also packed with antioxidants. (5) Banana gave this smoothie a wonderful creaminess and sweetness so there’s no need to add extra sugar. You can use fresh or frozen bananas here.
I always like to add some SUPERFOODS when making smoothies, so in this cherry smoothie recipe I used:
- HEMP SEEDS: Hemp seeds are loaded with two essential fatty acids, omega-6 and omega-3, aka healthy fat, but also a great source of high-quality proteins. I added hemp seeds to boost proteins in this meal.
- WALNUTS: Walnuts are a good source of the plant-based omega-3 fat, an essential fatty acid, and an excellent source of antioxidants that fights inflammation. (6) Same as prunes, walnuts are great for gut health and weight loss. Walnuts enhanced these energy balls with many nutrients but also wonderful nutty taste and texture. You can swap walnuts with almonds here.
- CEYLON CINNAMON: Ceylon cinnamon, also known as “true” cinnamon, is a highly delicious spice with many health benefits too. Cinnamon is loaded with powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties. (7, 8) Cinnamon gave this strawberry smoothie a wonderful flavor and scent.
I also added a dash of ground CLOVES. Cloves are know to boost digestion but they are extremely flavorful. You can totally skip cloves if you don’t like its strong flavor and scent. But I suggest you give it a try. Cherries pair so nicely with cloves. You’ll see.
If you like your smoothie sweeter you can add a few dates for natural healthy sweetness like maple syrup or raw honey if you’re not following a vegan diet.
How to make Cherry Banana Smoothie
- If you’re using fresh cherries: Always wash cherries before you use them. Carefully place them into a colander, rinse under cold water. You don’t need to pat them dry but you do need to remove the pits. I love using cherry pit remover. It makes pitting cherrie so easy.
- Take a blender or food processor and add 1 cup of cherries, 1 cup of almond milk, ½ banana. Mix on high speed until you get even creamy texture. Add in 1/4 cup walnuts, 1 tablespoon of hemp seeds, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and dash of ground cloves, if using.
- Blend again until everything is well combined.
- Taste the smoothie and add sweetener if you feel that smoothie is not sweet enough. I recommend using raw honey or maple syrup. Stevia is also ok. You can use dates too.
- Pour the smoothie in a serving glass and add toppings if you like. I used Yacon sweetened cacao nibs. Serve with a large straw or a long ice-cream spoon.
- If you’re using frozen cherries and/or banana: Follow the steps 2 – 3. Check consistency and add more milk if you feel that smoothie is to thick. Then proceed with steps 4 – 5.
How many calories are in a Cherry Banana Smoothie
This cherry deliciousness is nutrient dense antioxidant-rich drink. One serving has 458 calories.
It’s packed with fibers, healthy Omega-3s fats and proteins. It has a good amount of essential minerals and it’s loaded with immune boosting Vitamin C. It’s a well balanced meal and thus perfect for mornings.
Cherry Banana Smoothie benefits
- It’s nutrient-dense, made with fresh HEALTHY ingredients!
- It’s creamy and sweet flavored – kids LOVE IT!
- It’s completely ADDED SUGAR-FREE.
- It’s nourishing and wholesome meal.
- It’s rich in nutrients – fibers, plant-based proteins, heart-healthy, brain boosting Omega-3s fats.
- It’s rich in powerful antioxidants, and vitamin C good for immunity.
- It’s rich in potassium, calcium, and iron.
- It’s enriched with SUPERFOODS – hemp seeds, walnuts and cinnamon.
- It’s great for boosting digestion.
- It’s vegan, gluten free and dairy free.
- It’s very filling and will keep you full for long time.
- + it’s deliciously sweet, colorful and amazing!
How do you freeze cherries for smoothies?
- Place cherries into a colander and rinse under cold water.
- Remove the pits using cherry pit remover or by hands.
- Place the cherries in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with wax paper, not touching one another.
- Freeze for about half an hour, or until solid.
- Use for making Cherry Banana Smoothie.
- Transfer the leftover cherries to plastic resealable bags or airtight containers and store in the freezer for up to six months.
How to freeze bananas for smoothies?
- Peel each banana.
- Cut the bananas crosswise, creating thick slices.
- Lay the banana slices out in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Freeze for about two hours, or until the slices are solid.
- Use for making Cherry Banana Smoothie.
- Transfer the leftover banana slices to plastic resealable bags or airtight containers and store in the freezer for up to six months.
This cherry goodness is a must try this Summer while cherries are in season. Or juts pack your freezer with frozen cherries and enjoy all year round. It’s super healthy and very powerful drink, loaded with nutrients and low on calories. It has the perfect ratio of sweetness and healthiness. + It’s thick, super refreshing and easy to make!
Cherry Banana Smoothie
Thick, creamy and filled with beautiful flavors, this Cherry Banana Smoothie is perfect energy-packed morning drink! Made with fresh fruits and SUPERFOODS, without any added sugars, it's healthy, antioxidant-rich delight that is just so delicious. Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, kids-friendly.
If you’re using fresh cherries: Always wash cherries before you use them and don't forget to remove the pits. Carefully place them into a colander, rinse under cold water. You don't need to pat them dry. Remove the pits using hands or cherry pit remover.
Take a blender or food processor and add 1 cup of cherries, 1 cup of almond milk, ½ banana. Mix on high speed until you get even creamy texture. Add in 1/4 cup walnuts, 1 tablespoon of hemp seeds, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and dash of ground cloves, if using.
Blend again until everything is well combined.
Taste the smoothie and add sweetener if smoothie is not sweet enough. I recommend using raw honey or maple syrup, stevia or few dates.
Pour the smoothie in a serving glass and add toppings if you like. Serve with a large straw or a long ice-cream spoon.
If you’re using frozen cherries and/or banana: Follow the steps 2-3. Check consistency and add more milk if you feel that smoothie is to thick. Then proceed with steps 4 - 5.
ADDING SWEETENER: Depending on how sweet your cherries are, you may want to add 1-2 tsp of pure maple syrup, honey or few dates to the smoothie. This is totally based on your preference.
FOR A THICKER SMOOTHIE: Use frozen banana cut into pieces. You may need a bit more milk to blend, but this will give you a frosty texture.
For VEGAN: Use maple syrup or dates instead of honey.
As a measure, I used US cup (240ml).
Nutrition values are calculated without added toppings.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but I have endeavored to be as accurate as possible.
More smoothie recipes
If you like this smoothie, you may also fancy these too:
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Mixed Berry Smoothie
- Strawberry Kefir Smoothie
- Blueberry Banana Chia Smoothie
If you’ve tried this Strawberry Banana Smoothie recipe or any other recipe on Natalie’s Health, please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you!