This immune boosting and super easy to make Broccoli Soup is rich in flavor and full of SUPERFOODS. Delicious and loaded with beautiful spices - cinnamon, ginger and turmeric, fragrant and just amazing, this Spicy Broccoli Soup will warm you up from the inside out.
I was planning to publish this spicy broccoli soup recipe on my blog for a really long time. I guess since I started this blog. And finally, here it is! TA-DAA! I'm thrilled to share this recipe with you because this is one of my favorite soups and one of "those soups" which literally delight you the moment you try it.
This soup is beautifully fragrant, slightly spicy with an oriental flavor and FULL of amazing healthy stuff. Spicy broccoli soup is real detox and immune boosting soup and just perfect for autumn and winter season.
The star of this soup is her majesty queen of healthy veggies - broccoli while supporting role plays nothing less important and healthy celery root - aka celeriac. Broccoli and celeriac are really incredible veggies, and their health benefits are countless. When you eat broccoli and celeriac, you're getting dozens, maybe even hundreds, of super-nutrients that support optimal health. They are both full of vitamin K and vitamin C, and dietary fibers. Because of high levels of vitamin C, they are powerful antioxidants that boost our health in a major way.
Broccoli also contains a lot of vitamin A, vitamin B2, folic acid, and phosphorus, and minerals such as calcium, potassium, iron, and magnesium. Broccoli protects our heart and cardiovascular system, regulates blood pressure and reduces bad cholesterol. Simply stated - if you want to be healthy, eat your broccoli! :)
In addition to super healthy veggies - broccoli and celeriac, this soup is enriched furthermore with healing spices - ginger, turmeric, and cinnamon. Cinnamon is one of the top seven anti-oxidants in the world. It regulates blood sugar and lower your bad cholesterol (or LDL) and has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and even antiviral properties.
Ginger and turmeric contain very potent anti-inflammatory compounds and they both have a powerful antioxidant effects in human body.
Fresh spicy ginger and aromatic turmeric gave the soup quite oriental flavor, while cinnamon gave a beautiful warm scent and a bit of sweetness. Is exactly this combination of sweet and spicy that makes this soup overwhelming. To experience absolute pleasure, serve this spicy broccoli soup warm with whole wheat bread toasted with extra virgin olive oil and fresh garlic. In addition, you can add a few drops of extra virgin olive oil in soup, or a spoonful of Greek yogurt, or freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
This spicy broccoli soup is the ultimate favorite in my house. My husband and I, we just love it, so this soup is quite often on our eating menu. Also, I like to prepare this soup for my guests. I just love when I hear their deep sighs of satisfaction while they eat, especially those who taste it for first time.
Spicy broccoli soup ...
- is easy to prepare and can be ready in just 20 minutes,
- is full of vitamin C and vitamin K, which boost our immune system and protect us from cold,
- is full of antioxidants that protect and detox our body,
- is full of high-quality dietary fibers which helps with weight loss,
- is enriched with healing spices - ginger, cinnamon, and turmeric,
- is good for heart health,
- is good for our bones and skin, but also helps fighting stress,
- is low in calories and very nutritious.
I must say I cooked this soup many times but again and again, I get surprised how amazing it tastes. Also, I like to mention that although this soup is spicy, I never experience any problems with my stomach, and I have a very sensitive tummy. So this soup is 100% tummy-proof. If you want to make kid-friendly version of this soup, just skip the ginger ;)
Spicy Broccoli Soup
- 1 large broccoli head
- 1 cup celery root - celeriac about 1/2 medium-sized celeriac
- 0.8 inch 2 cm fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 cups water
- Wash broccoli and trim and chop the head. Peel celery root and cut into smaller pieces. Peel ginger root and cut into pieces.
- Put chopped broccoli, celeriac and ginger in a deep cooking pot, add vegetable stock cube, water, and spices and bring water to boil. Cook for 15 mins.
- Drain cooked vegetables and save water in which the vegetables were cooked - vegetable stock.
- Place drained vegetable in blender, add half of saved vegetable stock and mix well.
- Transfer mixture back to cooking pot. Dilute to taste with rest of saved vegetable stock.
- Serve warm with whole wheat bread toasted with extra virgin olive oil and fresh garlic.
These are my picks for this recipe: