Whole grain HEALTHY Lemon Cardamom Pancakes are simple but very special breakfast. These pancakes are light and fluffy, loaded with many nutrients and oh so delicious. Packed with zesty lemon flavor and topped with delightfully tangy cream cheese filling, these pancakes are like having cheesecake for breakfast! All natural and refined sugar-free.
I have a confession to make. I'm a HUGE pancake fan. I could eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Fluffy, light textured, mildly sweet, topped with cream and fresh fruits. What's there not to love? Pancakes are like ultimate weekend breakfast and a favorite among my family beside of course Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Roll-Ups and these French Toast Vanilla Muffins.
But I wasn't always so keen to make pancakes. I just wasn't good at making them. I had an awful old pancake pan, and my batter wasn't perfect. Pancakes never turned out the way I wanted to be. They were tasty and all... but never in perfect shape, because of the batter. And that drove me mad. Well, my hubby still devoured the scraps while I was always nagging. I had so many failures that I almost give up. ALMOST! But the desire to have pancakes for breakfast on Saturday morning was bigger than all my disappointments. So I decided to work on perfecting that pancake batter. I also got myself a new pancake pan. One weekend I whipped out perfect pancakes. Suddenly everything changed. Our Saturday mornings started to be happier and better.
Since lemons are now in season, and we welcomed Spring, I decided to share this delicious, zesty Lemon Cardamom Pancakes with you.
To make these pancakes Lemon Cardamom Pancakes I used ALL NATURAL, healthy and nutritious ingredients - no store-bought pancake mix, no nutrient deprived all-purpose flour, no refined sweeteners. Just beautiful REAL FOOD!
I made these pancakes using whole grain flour - Spelt flour (Dinkel wheat) that is loaded with dietary fibers. You can use any whole grain flour you prefer. To sweeten pancakes I used a bit of pure maple syrup. Pancakes are usually served with fresh fruits, so there's no need to overdo with added sugars in the batter.
What makes this pancakes so special is the lemon. There's no better way to celebrate Spring than with citrus infused sweet treats, right?! Fragrant, zesty and so gorgeous, lemon gave pancakes Spring-like feeling and so much freshness. I used lemon juice - freshly squeezed and organic lemon zest - freshly grated. Strong lemon flavor paired so nicely with mildly sweet and nutty pancakes. It upgraded the taste to beyond delicious.
These pancakes are light, fluffy and loaded with amazing fresh lemon flavor. To add some extra zing, I added a bit of exotic cardamom too. Cardamom is a quite unique spice. It tastes like the mix of mint, lemon, and ginger with a hint of cinnamon. Cardamom enhanced beautiful lemony taste and greatly improved the overall pancake flavor. It added some health benefits too.
You can top these Lemon Cardamom Pancakes with maple syrup and some fresh fruits. OR you can slather them with a delightfully tangy cream cheese filling... like I did. Cream cheese filling wonderfully complemented the pancakes and added an incredibly creamy, rich texture.
Lemon Cardamom Pancakes may seem complicated but quite the opposite. These delicate lemony pancakes are super easy to make and quite simple. Decadent breakfast done in no time. Or quick and easy brunch. But these deliciously palatable pancakes are good for basically any occasion. Trust me, your guest will be surprised when you present them these pancakes. Lemon Cardamom Pancakes will definitely get the compliments streaming in.
You, your family and your guests will love them!
Lemon Cardamom Pancakes are:
- Very filling and healthy meal – loaded with fibers, healthy fats, and proteins.
- All natural and refined sugar-free.
- Ridiculously easy to make.
- Full of refreshing lemon flavor and sooo delicious.
- Perfect weekend breakfast or quick brunch.
- 100% guilt-free and waistline-friendly.
Seriously I can't wait until the weekend to make them again. Do yourself a favor and make these soon. Weekends were made for pancakes! Enjoy!
Lemon Cardamom Pancakes
For pancakes (makes 6):
For cream cheese filling:
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- A pinch of lemon zest
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add milk, maple syrup, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix until well combined. Add flour, baking soda, cardamom and salt. Mix to combine, then set aside.
- Heat a griddle or pancake pan over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray or coconut oil. For each pancake, drop ¼ cup of batter into the pan. Cook 1-2 minutes, until bubbles appear on the surface of pancakes. Flip carefully and cook another 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Make sure to coat the pan before every pancake or batch of pancakes to prevent sticking.
- Make cream cheese filling: Place all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well until smooth.
- Place one pancake, browned-sides down, on a plate. Spread cream cheese filling over the pancake. Place another pancake, browned-sides down, on top of the first pancake. Repeat with the rest of pancakes and spread.
- Serve immediately with fresh fruits. Drizzle with maple syrup if desired.
These are my recommendation for this recipe:
[amazon_link asins='B000ND3G00,B01M2CT9OV,B00B7HHSEQ' template='MyPicks' store='natalieshealt-20' marketplace='US' link_id='cefeea3f-2dd0-11e8-9f96-294f9e2b6408']