Wonderful, soft and fragrant Chocolate Cinnamon Balls made without added sugars and with all healthy ingredients. This chocolate delight is perfect holiday dessert or healthy snack anytime.
Xmas is super close, and I’m sure you’ve started thinking about this year holiday menu. I DEFINITELY am! I already started planning this year feast – I’m looking for some new recipes and ways to surprise my family with new treats. But I’m also looking forward to spend time with my family and friends celebrating. I don’t know about you, but I really really love those petite holiday desserts – balls, rolls, cookies, you know… Served on beautifully decorated holiday table, surrounded by candles… I’m just amazed and that totally gets me in the holiday spirit. And when you know that all these small bites are made with healthy ingredients and that you can enjoy them absolutely carefree … that’s what I call real holidays!
Chocolate cinnamon balls are just like that. Delicious, made with all healthy ingredients and without added sugars. Perfect for your holiday table. The bonus is that they can be made in just 10 minutes, and you can involve your kids to participate in making them. Fun for them, help for you, and overall super fun family time preparing holiday treats.
As a base for making these chocolate cinnamon balls this time I used the nuts – walnuts and almonds. Remember my Apple Pie Energy Bites? Then I overburden you with facts about super healthy almonds. Well, walnuts are just like almonds, full of plant-based proteins, healthy omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins – especially vitamin B1, B2 and B6, folic acid and minerals – magnesium, phosphorus, and manganese. Walnuts helps lower bad cholesterol and protect our heart, and if you eat walnuts in moderation, you’ll get all the health benefits with minimal risk of gaining weight.
Chocolate cinnamon balls are enriched with defatted raw cocoa. Cocoa is like REAL superfood. It’s full of magnesium and iron, as well as the antioxidants that protect our body from various diseases. Consumption of raw cocoa reduces the stress and depression and can positively influence to our general mood while keeping our heart and blood veins healthy by helping regulating our blood pressure, sugar levels, and cholesterol. Amazing right?!
To make chocolate cinnamon balls sweet, I used natural sweetener – dried Medjool dates which I previously soaked in the warm water. Soaked dates gave the bites sweetness but also a beautiful soft texture and caramel flavor. I also added a bit of carob that gave more sweetness and distinctive aroma. I additionally flavored the balls with warm autumn super spice – cinnamon. Cinnamon has nicely complemented a bitter cocoa flavor and deepened overall nutty mixture flavor.
I rolled chocolate cinnamon balls into raw cocoa, to make them more chocolate. I LOVEE that. You can roll the balls in shredded coconut, ground almonds or walnuts, or even carob. These chocolate cinnamon balls are perfect dessert for holidays but also a healthy snack any time during the year.
Chocolate Cinnamon Balls …
- are made with only 6 ingredients and done in 10 minutes,
- are full of healthy fats and healthy omega 3 fatty acids,
- are rich in plant-based proteins,
- contains no added sugars,
- vegan and gluten free,
- are enriched with healing spice – cinnamon,
- are full of vitamins – vitamin B1, B2 and B6, folic acid and minerals – magnesium and manganese,
- are full of antioxidants that protects our body from illness,
- helps regulate blood pressure, normal blood sugar levels and cholesterol,
- are good for heart health and our cardiovascular system,
- helps reducing stress and depression, and improves our general mood,
- are very nutritious.
∗ PIN this for later! ∗
- 12 dried Medjool dates
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup walnuts
- 6 tablespoons raw defatted cocoa
- 4 tablespoons ground carob
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Raw cocoa, ground walnuts, almonds or carob for dusting
- Remove the pits from dates and soak them in hot water for several minutes. When the dates are softened, drain them and place in food processor. Save the water.
- Add the other ingredients - almonds, walnuts, cocoa, carob and cinnamon to a food processor and blend until mixture turns into paste or dough-like consistency. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water in which you have soaked the dates if the mixture is too dry.
- With the small spoon scoop the mixture and roll into balls. Roll the balls into raw cocoa. Place them on the baking sheet.
- Store chocolate cinnamon balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator until serving.
- You may add a tablespoon of honey or syrup in the mixture, to taste and if needed.
- Keep the energy bites frozen up to 3 months in the freezer.