Light and creamy, Avocado Potato Salad with Spring Onions and Radishes, made with few simple and fresh ingredients. This low-calorie salad is rich in nutrients - healthy fats and fibers, mayo-free, dairy-free, vegan and just delicious. Perfect side dish or healthy office lunch.
You know what I'm looking forward the most in this time around Easter? ... Noooo it's not the smoked ham... nor the luscious Carrot Cake, nor delightful Carrot Cake Cookies. It's the young potatoes, spring onions, and radishes that tickle my taste buds the most. With coming of Spring, when these veggies first appear on the market, they are constantly on our family menu. Especially young potatoes. I'm preparing it in many ways, but maybe our favorite is potato salad.
Potato salad with onions, known as Kartoffelsalat, is the most popular salad in Croatia. Everybody here knows about this salad, and it's commonly eaten on Fridays, with the fish. My grandma makes THE best Kartoffelsalat, and she serves it, you probably guess, on Fridays with the fish.
As much as I try, I can't attain the perfection of grandmother's potato salad. That's why I decided to move away from this traditions and offer my family, a different potato salad. And here it is... a super simple, very nutritious but very light, creamy HEALTHY Avocado Potato Salad. Mayo-free, made with only FRESH REAL FOOD.
I put literally every single favorite spring veggie in this Avocado Potato Salad - young potatoes, wonderful crispy fresh radishes and flavorful spring onions. Young potato is less starchy and more nutritious than the regular potato. It's very sweet and irresistibly soft textured. It goes perfectly with sweet corn. I don't usually peel young potato skin, but for this salad, I peeled away the skin so it wouldn't be separated while mixing the salad.
I enriched this salad with avocado that is LOADED with monounsaturated fatty acids - heart healthy fats. Avocado is also rich in high-quality dietary fibers, as well as with numerous essential vitamins and minerals - vitamin K, B6, potassium and vitamin C. Because of creamy texture and fullness of flavor. Avocado is a healthy addition to any meal. My favorite use of avocado would be healthy avo dips and salad dressings.
This Avocado Potato Salad is also special because it doesn't contain any added oils (fats). The salad is seasoned only with avocado in which I added a bit of lime juice and simple spices. Avocado gave a wonderfully creamy texture, while lime brought a beautiful spring freshness into this salad.
Avocado Potato Salad ...
- requires only a few simple ingredients and it's super easy to make,
- full of high-quality dietary fibers that promote good digestion and weight loss,
- rich in healthy monounsaturated fats that promote heart health,
- rich in potassium, vitamin C, vitamin K and vitamin B6,
- rich in antioxidants that protect our body and support the immune system,
- perfect as a side dish, or office lunch,
- low-calorie, kid-friendly, mayo-free and dairy-free,
- vegetarian, gluten free and vegan.
This Avocado Potato Salad with Spring Onions and Radishes goes perfectly with all fish dishes. Also, it can be served as a side dish with any meat. It's a great office lunch too. Given the fact that the young spring onions are mild in taste, this salad is also completely kids friendly. Just serve this Avocado Potato Salad well chilled and enjoy in every single HEALTHY bite.
Avocado Potato Salad
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 1 cup sweet corn
- Fresh radishes
- Fresh spring onions
- ½ avocado
- Lime juice
- Lime zest
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh dill
- Peel the potato skin, cut potatoes into cubes and place in a deep pot with cold water. Season with salt and cook for 15 minutes. When the potato is cooked, drain it and let it cool.
- In a bowl, mash the avocado with the fork. Add lime and season it with salt, and pepper to taste.
- In a separate large salad bowl, place the cooled potatoes, sweet corn, sliced radishes, and green onions. Add the avocado mixture and mix well. Sprinkle with fresh dill.
- Serve well chilled.
These are my recommendation for this recipe:
[amazon_link asins='B008EQAMK0,B0083Z5QBW,B00V8ZX7T2' template='MyPicks' store='natalieshealt-20' marketplace='US' link_id='f75a27fc-31c1-11e8-84af-7305bc7d8b40']