There is something in our daily bread that we all just love, and it's really hard when we need to give up on him. But really, why should we give up bread? Whole wheat bread is a very good source of dietary fiber. Furthermore if bread is enriched with other healthy ingredients, is actually good to consume moderate amounts daily.
Homemade bread is much tastier than store-purchased bread, isn’t loaded with preservatives, is very inexpensive to make, and doesn’t take all that much time, either. But why do people prefer a store-bought bread more than making one at home?
I think this is because they think that making a homemade bread takes a lot of time and needs much effort. Or they simply are afraid of failure. Well I can be clear example that bread can be made at home without much effort in a relatively short time. I never was an expert on dough and I'm very busy person, and yet I can find time to knead loaf and make my family a nice fragrant and healthy homemade bread. Believe me, its not a rocket science ... flour + water + yeast. It works every time.
Homemade bread just tastes better, it’s more nutritious, it reduces preservatives and sodium intake, and it’s often cheaper than what you find in the store.
I kinda like to experiment when I’m making a bread, so this time there were no exceptions. I used all the classic ingredients that I normally use - whole wheat flour, some all-purpose flour (for dough to be softer), dry yeast, extra virgin olive oil and a bit of honey. In bread I always add some seeds or coarse grains, like oats or spelt wheat. This time, while I mixed the ingredients it crossed my mind to put a little carob in my dough. And believe me, it was a good decision.
While bread was slowly baked in the oven, irresistible aroma spread throughout the kitchen. It was a familiar smell of bread, but with a special touch - the aromatic scent of carob. “It's like you're making a cake, not a bread” - said my husband.
[Tweet "Easy to make, nutritious and healthy, homemade whole wheat bread with carob."]
In the morning we tasted this fragrant rounded beauty and it was absolutely fantastic - a bit sweet but very aromatic. We enjoyed our breakfast and commented how taste reminds us of Christmas that is slowly coming and how we all look forward to spend time together as family.
Have you tried making homemade bread? Which healthy ingredients do you use? Leave a comment.
Homemade Whole Wheat Bread with Carob
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 3 tablespoon spelt wheat
- 2 tablespoon carob powder
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- warm water
- pinch of salt
- Mix whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour in one bowl. Add yeast, spelt wheat and carob and stir.
- Place cup of warm water in another bowl. Put oil and honey. Mix slowly with spoon.
- Mix liquid indigents with dry ingredients. Add more warm water and stir.
- When dough become consistent, continue mixing with your hands until it quits sticking to the sides of the bowl. Don't over mix it or bread will be tough.
- Cover the bowl with kitchen cloth and let it rise for about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356F).
- Grease bread pan with olive oil. Add a bit flour to the pan to reduce sticking.
- Put dough on a floured surface and bake for 45 minutes (or until is deep golden brown and risen).
- When done turn the bread out of the pan to a rack to cool. Cover with moistened kitchen cloth.