Soft, sweet and absolutely irresistible, Double Chocolate Banana Donuts are one delicious guilt-free treat. These donuts are oven baked (not fried), made with whole grains and refined SUGAR-FREE. Super HEALTHY and easy to make too!
It seems, there's no end to my chocolate cravings. After Valentine's dinner and overindulging in Cocoa Pomegranate Brownies, I continue to crave for everything chocolate. I blame gloomy February for that.
Anyway, in Croatia, in February, right after Valentine's Day, we celebrate carnival festival. It's tradition to wear masks during this cheerful festival and to bake and eat lots and lots of donuts. Last year I baked Cinnamon Vanilla Donuts, and this year I decided to whip up the CHOCOLATE ones for my sweet little Spiderman and my brave Mr. Han Solo ... and for myself - Mrs. Padme, of course. :)
And so I made this chocolate splendor rich in bittersweet cocoa - banana flavor, enriched with aromatic spice - cinnamon, and covered with silky melted dark chocolate. OMG... did I just say that?! I'm drooling.
These Double Chocolate Banana Donuts may look like they are full of calories, but there are NOT. The catch is that these donuts are made with all healthy wholesome ingredients, without refined sugar. Also these donuts are baked in the oven without added unhealthy fats. Perfect, right ?!
For making these Double Chocolate Banana Donuts, I used whole wheat flour rich in nutrients - fibers, super healthy coconut oil and raw cocoa. I also used Ceylon cinnamon known for its healthy benefits. Cinnamon enriched donuts with beautiful fragrance and warm aroma. Donuts are made without refined sugar - they are naturally sweetened with ripe banana and date syrup. Also, I added some Greek yogurt in the mixture which gave dough perfect soft texture and a bit protein kick.
I dipped donuts in melted dark chocolate (made with 80% raw cocoa, without sugar) and topped with crushed raw cocoa beans - a powerful antioxidant, full of magnesium, iron, zinc and fibers. Raw cocoa beans enriched donuts with nutrients and made it even healthier. If you want more protein boost, you can use chia seeds instead of cocoa beans. Or why not use both!
Double Chocolate Banana Donuts are easy made dessert, done in just 20 minutes that only needs few ingredients. And your kids will love it! I'm sure! Since these donuts are very nutritious, you can have them as quick on-to-go breakfast or healthy snack between meals. These are perfect for kids school snack too.
Donuts are baked in oven. If you don't have the donut pan, seriously, get one NOW !!! I really don't like to pile pans and dishes in my kitchen, but I didn't regret getting that donut pan, not a one bit. Donuts prepared in such a healthy way with healthy wholesome ingredients are favorite dessert in my house, and I do prepare donuts often.
Double Chocolate Banana Donuts are ...
- made with all healthy wholesome ingredients,
- moist and fluffy, full of warm aromatic flavors,
- full of high-quality dietary fibers that promote good digestion and weight loss,
- easy to prepare and can be made in just 20 minutes,
- needs only a few simple ingredients,
- refined sugar-free,
- enriched with healing spice - Ceylon cinnamon,
- contains raw cocoa - powerful antioxidant that elevates good mood, reduces stress and depression,
- perfect quick breakfast or kids school snack.
These donuts are healthy, low-calorie, highly nutritious, sweet and simply beautiful + full of chocolate and raw cocoa + great for mood-lifting ... Well, they affect my mood just by looking at them. I'm literally bursting with happiness! ... And drooling a little.
Double Chocolate Banana Donuts
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Ceylon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons raw cocoa
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ cup milk plant based or cows fat-free
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil melted and cooled
- 4 tablespoons date syrup or honey
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Raw cocoa beans or chia seeds for topping.
Chocolate glaze from melted dark chocolate
- ½ cup dark chocolate 70% cocoa and more
- 2-3 tablespoons milk plant based or cows fat-free
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease donut pan.
- In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients - flour, salt, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and raw cocoa.
- In blender mix banana with milk.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg whites. Add melted coconut oil, date syrup (or honey), Greek yoghurt and vanilla extract. Add mixed banana. Stir well.
- Add dry ingredients into wet mixture. Mix well.
- Fill donut pan with the mixture using a icing kit or simple plastic bag. Make sure you don't overfill.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes and then allow donuts to cool for 5 minutes.
- Tip donuts out and dip into a chocolate glaze. Sprinkle with raw cocoa beans or chia seeds.
- In a saucepan, one medium heat melt dark chocolate adding milk until mixture gets smooth. Add more milk if chocolate glaze is too thick.OR Melt and cool a bit coconut oil. Add raw cocoa and syrup (or honey) and mix well with a whisk. Add more cocoa if glaze is too thin.
I used US cup (240ml) as a measure.
[amazon_link asins='B0721B28GW,B0713T6TKG,B01HTYH8YA' template='MyPicks' store='natalieshealt-20' marketplace='US' link_id='0402925e-9798-11e7-a16a-2bd9d831b24e']