Rich and incredibly delicious, these Double Chocolate Almond Butter Brownies are the perfect dessert. Made with all HEALTHY ingredients and loaded with bits of dark chocolate, these refined sugar-free brownies are a pure guilt-free chocolate treat.
Nothing, an I mean nothing is more satisfying than a delicious freshly baked brownie right after family dinner on weekends. Served with a scoop of ice cream, it's ... omg! Pure happiness. And both, me and my husband needed some mood booster that Sunday afternoon.
Actually, I wanted to surprise him with something chocolaty because he's been coping my strawberry + lemon craziness for the past few weeks. Don't get me wrong. He loves fresh fruits desserts, like Strawberry Oatmeal Cookies and Lemon Coconut Balls. BUT every now and then a man just needs something chocolaty. Same as I do.
Chocolate is the ultimate pleasure. Instant gratification. Mood booster and happiness bringer. So last week I made my dear hubby this sweet chocolate beauty. Double Chocolate Almond Butter Brownies are rich and filled with melting dark chocolate bits. Bitter-sweet, dense and absolutely perfect.
We both enjoyed every single bite. It was much needed sweet treat and we haven't luxuriated this much since these Fudgy Cacao Walnut Brownies. Knowing that these almond brownies are made with all HEALTHY ingredients, completely guilt-free, has made us enjoy them even more.
But aside from the delicious flavor, what is really great about these almond brownies is the fact that they are super easy to make and you need only a few simple ingredients to make them. The truth is, you probably HAVE all the ingredients in your house already. So you can make them actually anytime you craving something chocolate and something sweet. It's one of those recipes that is quick and easy, no brainer really. And it turns out perfect anytime.
For this brownie recipe you'll need:
- Almond butter: Almond butter is so HEALTHY. It's loaded with healthy monounsaturated fats that keep our heart healthy, fibers, proteins, and many important minerals and vitamins - especially vitamin E and magnesium (1). Almonds are also an excellent source of powerful antioxidants that protect our cells from oxidative damage, a major contributor to aging and disease. (2) Almond butter is a part of my healthy diet since I started. It's a staple in my house.
- Cacao powder: I would say that the main star, beside almond butter, IS a cacao powder. I used unprocessed and raw cacao powder that is bitter, deep flavored, antioxidant rich, delicious and unbelievably HEALTHY. If you haven’t yet, seriously, invest in a good quality cacao powder and use it as much as you can. Cacao powder health benefits are numerous and you won’t feel guilty indulging in chocolate treats that calls for this incredible ingredient anymore. This SUPERFOOD is filled with only good healthy calories.
- Dark chocolate: I also tossed in some dark chocolate chips. They deepened overall chocolate flavor but also gave that special double chocolate punch. Melting pieces of dark chocolate in a warm brownie it's unbelievably good and satisfying. I've used dark chocolate made with 75% or more raw cacao that is made without refined sugars. You can find those in healthy food stores.
To sweeten these almond brownies I used coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is also called coconut palm sugar. It’s a natural sugar made from coconut palm sap. Regular table sugar doesn't contain any vital nutrients and therefore is just empty calories while coconut sugar because of its minimal processing during production, does hold some minerals - like iron, zinc, calcium, and potassium. Also, coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index than regular table sugar (3) which makes him a healthier sugar alternative.
To make these almond brownies more interesting, I also added in some maca powder - a SUPERFOOD and powerful antioxidant, not to mention mood booster. Maca paired so nicely with bitter-sweet cacao and dark chocolate and contributed greatly to overall brownie taste.
How to make almond butter brownies
This brownie recipe is like super simple. No brainer really. And you can make it in less than ten minutes + baking. Here are some tips on how to make perfect almond butter brownies every time.
- Before you begin mixing the ingredients, prepare the baking sheet and preheat the oven.
- In a bowl, sift the cacao powder and maca powder so there are no lumps. Mix in baking soda and salt. Add coconut flour as well. Mix it all up and leave aside.
- Melt the coconut oil and let it cool to room temperature before you mix it with the almond butter, coconut sugar, syrup, and vanilla in another larger bowl. I like to use glass mixing bowls. Make sure you whisk it until you get a nice sticky texture. Coconut sugar must dissolve completely. And yeah, don't use an electric mixer here but a plain simple whisk and hand powder.
- Add in eggs, ONE BY ONE, mixing with the whisk.
- Once you get a super soft, sticky but running mixture, add in dry ingredients. You can use a spatula here or again whisk. Toss in dark chocolate chips and fold everything together.
- Pour the mixture to a prepared baking sheet and bake for 22-25 minutes. I usually check the brownie after 20 minutes, turn off the oven an let it inside for another 2 minutes. Make sure you do not OVER-BAKE the brownies. They must have firm crusty outside but soft inside.
- Once they are done, remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for a minute or two before you slice it. Well, it's recommended to let it cool completely BUT hey... who can wait THAT long, right?!
These almond brownies are beyond delicious. Chocolaty, nutty, rich... melt-in-your-mouth and just delightful. Decadent, but good for you. A perfect dessert for the weekend or when you need a quick chocolate fix to boost your mood.
Made with all HEALTHY ingredients without refined sugars, and enhanced with powerful SUPERFOODS - cacao powder, almond butter, and maca, this brownie recipe is not only wholesome but a perfect guilt-free treat that may become your next favorite obsession.
If you’re looking for more healthy brownie recipes, check these out:
Double Chocolate Almond Butter Brownies
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips 75% or more cacao
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x9 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt coconut oil and let it cool to room temperature.
- Prepare dry ingredients: In a bowl sift cacao powder and maca. Add in coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Prepare wet ingredients: In a large bowl, combine almond butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla. Use a whisk and mix it until you get the sticky texture. Coconut sugar must dissolve completely.
- Add in eggs, one by one, mixing with the whisk.
- Gently fold in dry ingredients until batter is sticky but running.
- Toss in dark chocolate chips and fold everything together.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until tooth stick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Don't overbake!
- Remove from oven and let brownies cool for few minutes.
For VEGAN: Use flex or chia eggs, and vegan dark chocolate.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to a week.
Place in a zip-lock bag and freeze up to three months. Thaw on room temperature before using. Use the microwave to heat the brownies once they are defrosted. Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but I have endeavored to be as accurate as possible.
If you’ve tried this Double Chocolate Almond Butter Brownies recipe or any other recipe on Natalie’s Health, please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you!