Aromatic curry coconut chicken nutritionally enriched with pumpkin puree. A light and healthy meal that perfectly blends oriental flavor of curry with nutty pumpkin flavor.
Maybe this is not a typical seasonal autumn dish, but this recipe is absolutely divine and I simply had to share it with you. This is actually a classic curry chicken recipe which I modified and nutritionally enriched with pumpkin puree and coconut milk. This dish is perfect for busy people, it can be made in just a half hour.
For the preparation of this dish, besides chicken and spices, you will need pumpkin puree and coconut milk. In one of my previous post I’ve shown you how to make homemade pumpkin puree. In this post, I will shortly explain how you can make homemade coconut milk. I really had the intention to make a tutorial with step-by-step instructions on how to make coconut milk, but there was no time. I rushed to share this recipe with you :)
You can buy canned coconut milk in the store, which I really not recommend it. Canned coconut milk may be a quick choice if you are in a hurry, but homemade coconut milk is much healthier and cheaper option. Besides homemade food always tastes much better. When you see how easy is to make coconut milk at home, you’ll never buy it in a store again.
How to make homemade coconut milk
For making a coconut milk at home, you will need unsweetened shredded coconut, boiled water and blender. I'm not sure whether you can use a stick blender. If any of you has done it with stick blender, please share your experiences in the comment below ;) I usually make coconut milk in 1:2 ratio, adding a 1 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut and 2 cups of water. All you need to do is put ingredients in a blender and mix well for few minutes. Pour mixture through a cheesecloth and then squeeze well until you get all liquid out of the mixture. Thus prepared coconut milk is quite intense in flavor and great for making smoothies and cakes, or just drinking plain. Also, you can use it for making savory dishes like in this recipe. Of course, if you have more time and know how to handle sharp knives and axes, instead of store-bought shredded coconut you can use real coconut.
As you prepare this dish, your kitchen will turn in a real oriental paradise. While cooking, don’t rush and be patient. Allow the sauce to cook for a while, so the taste of curry, coconut and pumpkin blend well. I’m really delighted with the taste of this dish. Pumpkin nutty flavor wonderfully supplements aromatic taste of curry, while tropical coconut scent gave the meal absolutely irresistible aroma.
And for last ... be careful with cayenne pepper ;) For those with sensitive stomach I recommend not to use it at all, and for those who like a bit spicy tasting meal, you can give it a go.
I served this dish with rice, which I cooked in water with a little bit of salt.
Have you prepared curry chicken before? What do you think about this combination? Will you make this dish? I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave comments .... ;)
Curry Coconut Chicken
Curry coconut chicken
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups water
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium cooking pot or wok over high heat. Add chicken and cook on high heat until browned on all sides (5-7 minutes). Remove chicken and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to a pot / wok. Add garlic and minced ginger. Cook for about one minute until garlic turns slightly browned.
- Add pumpkin puree to a pan and cook for about 8-10 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk and curry. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes until the liquid is reduced.
- Lower the heat, add chicken and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Serve over cooked rice.
- Bring water to boil. In blender add unsweetened shredded coconut and boiled water. Blend for few minutes until well combined.
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth. Press the mixture until all the liquid is drained.
- Put milk in clean glass bottle and refrigerate.