Crunchy, nutty with touch of caramel flavor, these HEALTHY refined sugar-free Almond Sugar Cookies are the perfect Holiday sweet treat. These whole grain cookies are full of nutrients and super low-calorie.
Surely, you will all agree with me that there's nothing sweeter then Christmas Cookie tray full of tiny colorful cookies served next to Advent wreath on holiday table. It's just beautiful scene, and it warms my heart instantly. It gets you in that Christmas spirit.
So every year there's a tray full of Christmas cookies in my house. We bake them all together, as a family. I'm preparing the dough, and my boys are making the cookies, followed by Christmas carols in the background.
When the sweet aroma of freshly baked cookies starts to spread throughout the apartment, we're all eager to try them. And then there's the decoration of cookies which is always particularly fun. Sticky fingers and humorous attempts to draw something meaningful on cookies always get us a good laugh.
That's the true meaning of Christmas - love, laughter and happy family moments!
Almond Sugar Cookies are my family favorite. My husband is huge fan of these cookies. Every time he eats them, he closes his eyes and starts mumbling repeating how fine they are and how I NEED to make more of these cookies because one tray just won't be enough.
These cookies are so addictive too. Crunchy, nutty, full of sweet caramel flavor... I think you get my vibe. And then there's that whole almond on top of cookie that gives every bite that extra crispness and nuttiness. Perfect!
How to make Almond Sugar Cookies
These Almond Sugar Cookies are made with all healthy ingredients and very nutritious - full of fibers, healthy fats, and plant-based proteins. Although they may look and sound like a caloric bomb, they are really moderate in calories and refined sugar-free. These cookies are so easy to make, and you can include your kids to help you in preparation. Super fun!
For making these Almond Sugar Cookies, I used whole wheat flour and ground almond (almond meal) both rich in fibers, vitamins, and minerals. Ground almonds also enriched these cookies with plant-based proteins and heart-healthy fats.
To sweeten cookies I used unrefined dark muscovado sugar that gave the cookies deep caramel flavor but also a beautiful brown color.
I didn't want to overdo with spices, so I just added a bit of vanilla extract to the mixture which beautifully complemented the warm caramel cookie flavor. Instead of butter, that is commonly used in making cookies, I used super healthy coconut oil. That way I enriched these Almond Sugar Cookies with more nutrients.
Almond Sugar Cookies are ...
- made with all healthy ingredients,
- easy to prepare and can be made in just 20 minutes,
- needs only a few simple ingredients,
- refined sugar-free,
- dairy free,
- rich in nutrients - quality fibers, plant-based proteins, minerals, and vitamins,
- contains heart-friendly fats.
These Almond Sugar Cookies are proof that even if you are on healthy diet you can fully enjoy in holiday treats. It's a good feeling when you know you are not eating empty calories but something that is actually nutritious and good for your health. And just look at them ... you could eat the whole tray faster than you say cookie, right?
For a healthier holidays! Cheers guys!
Almond Sugar Cookies
- Mix the flour, ground almonds, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix softened coconut oil with muscovado sugar until smooth. Add vanilla extract, egg, and mix well until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture. Mix until you get a firm dough.
- Shape dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Leave in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350F (180°C). Place baking paper on baking sheet.
- Using spoons and hands, shape the piece of dough into a ball. Gently squeeze it between your hands. Place the ball on a baking sheet and press the almond on top.
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes, or until golden. Do not over bake. Cookies should be soft to the touch.
- Remove cookies from oven and allow them to cool completely on the cooling rack.
- Keep cookies closed in air-tight container until serving.
As a measure, I used a US cup (240 ml).
These are my picks for this recipe:
[amazon_link asins='B0029JQE3M,B01DLHA9OA,B002BFQR3G' template='MyPicks' store='natalieshealt-20' marketplace='US' link_id='83f58c3e-d6c8-11e7-9996-879982c020fc']
∗ PIN this for later! ∗