Full of luxurious dark chocolate flavor, made with all healthy ingredients these Fudgy Cocoa Pomegranate Brownies are the pure cocoa pleasure. Dense and fudgy, enriched with warm aromatic spices, this melt in your mouth dessert will surely delight you.
Somehow I’m in the mood for chocolate desserts these days. It’s because of the weather. Cold temperature and fog in the morning, sun and hot temperature afternoon and mild evenings. My body just don’t know what season is. Is it spring or fall or winter. I’m stressed out. My body badly needs some happy hormones. So I shamelessly enjoy in Chocolate Cinnamon Balls and Chocolate Banana Cake to get my moods up. But like that’s not enough chocolate in my life… therefore I decided to indulge myself in the ultimate chocolate dessert – this Fudgy Cocoa Pomegranate Brownies.
Many consider chocolate brownies to be just an ordinary cake, but this fudgy cocoa pomegranate brownies are more than just a daily dessert. It’s a chocolate BLAST! Fudgy, full of luxurious dark chocolate flavor, with a bit of pomegranate freshness. Just heavenly!
For making this fudgy cocoa pomegranate brownies I used whole wheat flour rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Instead of loading this brownie with refined white sugar, I used a healthy, mild flavored honey that is rich in nutrients. The star of this brownie is, of course, super healthy raw cocoa. I used organic defatted cocoa, rich in flavor, without unnecessary fats. You know how Spanish conquistadors called cocoa? The “black gold”! And with good reason. Raw cocoa is packed with many nutrients but also with antioxidants that protect our body from many illnesses. Cocoa is full of minerals, especially magnesium, iron, manganese, and zinc and it is known that cocoa affects our moods, reduces stress and depression, and protects our heart.
What makes the fudgy brownies so unique it’s his dense texture. To obtain that moist, fudgy taste you have to use fats – melted chocolate and butter. I wanted my brownie to be super healthy, so I skipped the butter and used healthy coconut oil. Also I added Greek yogurt, which gave a brownie moisture and fudgy texture but also gave a nice protein kick.
I complemented brownie’s chocolate flavor with fragrant cinnamon and nutmeg, which gave the fudgy cocoa pomegranate brownies beautiful warm aroma. And I didn’t stop there. No no no. I need some more chocolate … YES … so I topped brownies with cocoa glaze. And to make my brownies more interesting, healthier and well … more eye pleasing, I also added some pomegranate seeds. Pomegranate seeds gave that special tangy freshness in every bite. The texture of this fudgy cocoa pomegranate brownies is really irresistible – it’s dense, moist, really melt in your mouth. And it’s loaded with all healthy stuff. I hope that simplicity of this fudgy cocoa pomegranate brownies and the taste will impress you same as me.
Fudgy Cocoa Pomegranate Brownies are…
- made with all healthy ingredients,
- easy to prepare and made in only 20 minutes,
- don’t contain refined sugar and unhealthy fats,
- rich in nutrients and low in calories,
- full of fibers and minerals, with a protein kick,
- the main ingredient is raw cocoa that affects mood, reduces stress and depression.
As a true fan of anything chocolate, I’ll end up today’s post with a quote from British writer Patrick Skene- Catling. Do you agree with this statement? I’m totally with him on this one!
∗ PIN this for later! ∗
- ¾ cup (75 g) whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup raw defatted cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons honey (or syrup)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ½ cup (120g) Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons milk (almond or low fat cows)
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 4 tablespoons raw defatted cocoa
- 1 tablespoon honey or syrup
- Preheat the oven to 356F (180C) degrees. Line the bottom of a 9x9 inch (22x22cm) square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In one bowl, mix the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, and spices.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs with honey. Add coconut oil, greek yogurt and milk.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and come out almost clean (you want it to be a little moist with batter).
- Remove pan from the oven. Allow the brownies to cool completely on room temperature.
- Make the cocoa glaze: in a small bowl, combine melted and cooled coconut oil, cocoa, and honey. Top the brownies with cocoa glaze and fresh pomegranate seeds. Glaze the brownies before or after cutting into squares, whichever you prefer.
- Brownies will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.